Search This Blog

Search This Blog

Monday, November 23, 2009

Care of fishing rods and line

When I die I hope my partner doesn't sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

(not my quote) but a lot of truth to it I think


Well, the summer is over, it's winter. Rather obvious I think.

It's time to put away the fishing gear. I don't ice fish. So it is a waiting game for me. Its time to arrange, rearrange, put away and get out again. It's a ritual played over time and time again throughout the colder climates.

So here are a few tips to get your gear through the season of non-use.

I fish my equipment hard so I don't clean it like I should at the end of a fishing trip. I'm looking for the next time I can get out. And a little bit of lazy too.

Guide care - Run a a pice of silk through each guide, any rough spots will show up as a snag. Clean guides with a mild cleaner, nothing abrasive. If the snag is bad a replacement will have to be made. Check out the many sites on line for the how to.
Rod care - Same process, take a piece of silk and run it over the rod between the guides. Any rough spots again will show up as a snag. Clean the rod with a mild cleaner. Nothing abrasive. Dish detergent and warm water will clean off old fish slime and scales. Some advice says you can use a furniture cleaner to give the rod a polish. I don't do this because most furniture polishes contain wax and nothing sticks to wax. So if you have to make a guide repair replacing a guide, any wax that is on the rod will inhibit the thread epoxy from sticking to the rod and fish eye. If this happens you will have to replace the guide again and thoroughly clean the rod. Again nothing sticks to wax! Not even epoxy period!

Fly Line - The same process can be used on fly line. strip out the fly line. Run it through a piece of silk, any snags, replace the line. Sorry, the line will only get worse. Snags on the line tend to pick up slime off the water and transfer it to your guides and reel spool. Your line should be cleaned with a cleaner between fishing trips.


Cork Handle - Inspect the handle for any loose cork. If there is a loose spot that comes out of the handle do not glue it back with wood glue, epoxy or any glue that is harder then the cork. Glues that are specifically designed to be used with cork can be found on-line. Any other glue will produce a spot on the handle that is harder then the surrounding cork. That spot will loose its supple feel under hand. Clean the handle with a mild detergent and softly clean the cork being careful not to soak the cork. Let dry. A mild 220 sandpaper will take out deeper marks. Use a light touch only.

Reel Seat - Clean the reel seat with a mild detergent. Rinse with clean water. Dry off. Make sure the threads are clean and the locking rings work smoothly. Again no wax of any kind.

That's about the basics of rod care. So I'm off to take my own advice. Right after I cast one more time.

Check out this link on beginning fly fishing you won't be disappointed. Fly Fishing



No comments:

Post a Comment