Search This Blog

Search This Blog

Friday, May 22, 2009

Fly Fishing Knots

I'm a man of simplicity. I use three (3) knots.

I use a knot tier for my leader to leader and to tie a fly to my tippet. A nail knot for fly line to leader, but you can also use the knot tier for this knot as well or a loop to loop system. My preference is a loop to loop system because I can use a loop end weighted leader and its easier with a loop attached to my fly line. Then comes the Albright knot. I use this knot for adding a shock tippet to my leader.

Check out my link for the Albright knot. It has complete details for tying the Albright knot.

The Albright knot is used when you want a hard mono 15+ lb attached to your leader. It is used when the fish your after has sharp enough teeth to cut through your leader. I use Maxima or Mason hard mono. I tend not to use wire bite tippet because I think it's more kink prone .

One of my favorite knots is the Duncan Loop knot. It will let your fly remain loose and free. As the fly is attached via a loop. This type of connection (loop) can be made with (you guessed it) the knot tier. Although the loop is not as slip resistant as the Duncan loop. I tend to use it on small flies. And the Duncan loop on larger flies. x0 and up.

Also check out the Dropper Loop in the knot links.

So lets see 3 knots:

1. Nail knot

2. Albright

3. Knot tier, Also ties nail & Duncan although not quite the same.

Also check out Fly Fishing Community a great community of fly fishing info. While your there take a look at the article on fly fishing leaders for Bass. Sign up and post your pictures. I'm there as well.

Well I'm off to the river for some stripper fishing with my fly rod. Hope to have a picture to post. More then likly a shad will show up. This is what shock tippets are for.

Happy fishing

Fly Fishing Community WidgetsFly Fishing

No comments:

Post a Comment