Search This Blog

Search This Blog

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Why Bass

This year has started off with a bang. I wait all winter for fishing season to start. When it does I'm a kid in a candy store.

This is me and the best fishing partner a man could ask for fishing from a 12' canoe. She puts up with me when I say just one more cast. Or let's fish that weed bed on the way back to the beach. When she knows it will be as many casts as I can get away with. Or a long way back to the dock.


Don't look at me, look at the Bass. I didn't get a chance to weight or measure it but I figure it went about 3-4lbs. Not bad for a 6 wt fly rod.


Here's my wife with her catch of the day. She was using a 6 wt. also. I have to say it, hers was just a bit smaller then my catch, sorry. (don't tell her that)

We are fishing a small lake. It is about a 12-acre dogleg with lots of structure. It's man made and is fed by a small feeder stream at the upper end.

The bass population is just about the only fish in the lake. A few pumpkin seeds, bluegills and the odd crappie. But bass are its main delight.

We outfit with 6wt. graphite medium action fly rods only on this lake. Set up with wt/forward floating 6 - 8ft leaders depending on the fly size. Tippet 4x to 1x, 0x.

We like to use poppers on calm days. Nothing like top water Bass fishing in the spring. We went for mouse poppers lots of hair and flash size 2 for these Bass. Melissa went for 1x/6' leader. I was fishing 3x/8' leader.

I like a little longer leader than most for poppers. I can still get the popper to make a splash down. You know irritate the lateral lines.

Our rods have just enough punch to push these poppers to 20' - 25'. I'm thinking about over lining my rod to a 7wt. to push the distance. As I said we fish these on calm windless days.
Looks like bait to me. Lots of smaller Bass as well. But even the small ones put up a fight.

Tight lines till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment