Search This Blog

Search This Blog

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Fly Line Leaders and Flies

Here's a very simple guide to knowing what size fly attaches to what size leader.

Take the hook size and divide by 3 this will give you a range of fly sizes to use centered on the divide by three number.

Example:

Want to fish a size 12 fly, what size leader?

12 divided 3 = 4 so a 4x leader is about right, but you can use a 3x, 4x or 5x and still be fishing a balanced line.

This gives you a fly range of size 18 on the light side to size 10 on the heavy side. The theory is a 4x is optimal leader fishing a size 12 in the middle.

For Largemouth Bass I would want a Size 2 mouse popper on a 0x or 1x leader.

In the 0x to x4 range we are talking about some big flies. So I just say 0x leader 2x hook, x1 leader 1/0 hook, x2 leader 2/0 hook and so on. Knowing that these leaders have a heavy Pound test and I can get away with a larger hook range. With a x3 leader 18lb test I can use 5/0 to 2/0 hooks and maintain a balanced outfit. After all these aren't going to be delicate presentations to mayfly sipping trout.

Short F/S leaders and big flies to big fish.

For the most part in Bass fishing the divide by three rule will work for you. Remember see how it feels to you. Does it feel balanced? Am I struggling to get the fly out the last few feet, over powering the rod. If so, look at rod/leader/fly setup. I sometimes overweight my fly rod by a line weight to get it to flex a little deeper to send out a heavier fly into the salt. I sometimes underweight it and use a heavier fly. It's all about balance.

On average a 6wt 8.5 foot, medium action rod should cast 20 to 60 feet with a weight forward line and 9 foot leader. "On average"

Next time I'll rant about fly-line weights and hook sizes. Maybe I'll throw in leaders too. Remember balance is king!

No comments:

Post a Comment