Search This Blog

Search This Blog

Friday, June 5, 2009

Fly lines and Hook size

As I said here's my rant.

Generally the size and weight of your fly line is determined by flies you plan on fishing.

Line wts: 1,2,3,4 and 5

are best suited to hook sizes 8 - 28

Line wts 6 and 7

are best suited to hook sizes 1/0 to 12

Line wts 9,10,11,12

are best suited to hook sizes 5/0 to 4

Also keep in mind that heavy wind resistant flies (my mouse fly) might require a move up in line wt for a given rod wt to be able to cast them. Also windy conditions may require a move up 1 or 2 line wts to be able to cast properly.

With this in mind Bass fishing with a size 2 floating Bass bug I can use my 6 wt fly rod. My fly rod should be a medium or fast action rod.

If I'm casting in open space or wind I would like a fast action graphite rod. And maybe a move to 7 wt line. For a calm canoe lake condition a medium to fast rod and keep the 6wt line.

Fly rod actions and power, hook setting, overpowering, under powering and modulus. What do these terms and many others have to do with fly fishing?

Determining a fly rod for Bass fishing.

Tight lines till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment