Search This Blog

Search This Blog

Sunday, July 5, 2009

The Polysyllabic Fly Rod

I fish with a fly rod. In simpler time a fly rod could be described with one or two syllable words. Words that defined and dignified the function of a fly rod. What you could expect from the fly rod.

Now every time I read a fly fishing catalogs description of a fly rod I need a dictionary.

(Ship high in transit) what happened. I know, we’re of a group of sophisticated consumers and we certainly know what and how to interpret:

“Proprietary Multi-Modulus Performance”

in terms of our fishing needs. Don’t we?

What ever it means!

I propose a 3-word phrase “polysyllabic density function” based on the “Systematic Buzz Phrase Projector” (a concept devised by Phillip Broughton)

But let me be clear, I don’t denounce the commodification and the corporatization of explanatorily creative phraseology. After all, I think it is symptomatic of the present consumerist-opportunistic climate, which arguably succumbs to its own form of anti-reductionism.

But I will denounce a fly rod defined with “Robust Efficient Presentation” what ever that means.

So with that said, any 3-word phrase used to describe a fly rods properties that have more then 8 syllables I look at with suspicion. (4 words 15+ syllables and I pass out)

“Unmatched Technological Performance”

11 syllables “Suspect”……………………..?

Although, it seems absurd there is an element of truth to this rant. A perusal of any of the top fly rod manufacturers brochures will reveal a string of catch phrases that would give even a PH. D a headache.

Tight Lines till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment