Search This Blog

Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Fly Fishing and the Minimalist


In 40 years of fly fishing I have finally come to conclusion that I don't need all the crap I attach to my self when I go fishing.

Lets face it, do I really need a 27 pocket vest when I'm on the water? I know it looks cool and exudes a certain air of expertise. (until I hook a monster tree, bush......!) You know you've caught a few yourself.

So I have been in the search of a way to cut down on what I call "Vest Clutter". I came across the product called a fishing lanyard, Nice Idea. So with an average price of $27 dollars for this Vest Clutter eliminator  I decided to head on over to my local Michael's and buy some beards and such collect a few clips I happen to have tucked away in my 27 pocket vest ( that took 10 minutes) and make my own.

Nothing fancy mind you, but it only cost me $6.78 total and about 1/2 hour to put together.




 It has 5 clips. So I have reduced 27 pockets to 5 lanyard clips.

Not one to leave well enough alone. Mostly because I had some left over parts from this project. I have taken the 5 clip lanyard one reduction further.

I call it the button lanyard.


 Again, nothing fancy, but at a cost of about a $1.50 it works.



Lets see, spools of tippet, pliers, clippers, file, knot tier and if you have to complicate things room for more. It is the ultimate in absurdum reduction.

Hook it to a shirt button and you are set to go. I know your thinking I forgot about flies. Nope not so.
Take a look at my circa 1950's fly box. It is an over the shoulder 3 layer multi compartment fly box.





 That's it a button lanyard and a fly box. Oh - don't forget to bring a net.

Obiter Dictum - "The Minimalist Fly Fisher"

No comments:

Post a Comment